Friday, January 18, 2008

w.a-s-h.i.n.g. t-o-n, baby. d.c.

1/16/2008
There's a new Pokémon game for the DS. I am playing as a middle-aged lady who was a great trainer as a young woman, and all these excruciatingly depressing things keep happening to her. At the end of the game her purple-haired son betrays her to Team Rocket.
I look up from the DS. It's time to go home. Nick and I go to the Metro station.
We're hanging out, waiting for my train, when an elderly female employee of the WMATA, wearing a red vest, approaches me.
"I wish I'd ever had a boyfriend who treated me so kindly and spoke so gently to me," she said with a smile.
I wasn't that weirded out by this, and I responded with something like, "He's a great guy."
Nick and I got to talking with the lady and she eventually offered us a look at the station's "attic". She pulled a ladder from the ceiling in a corner near where people bought their passes, and went back to her business.
Nick went up first. I was hesitant to follow him because it was unbelievably cramped, but eventually did so. After a short crawlspace it opened to a very large pressboard/plywood/pink insulation room.
The room was filled with cool old WMATA system maps, employee uniforms, and even a few ancient subway cars.
For some reason there was also a large amount of Red Sox memorabilia.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home