Sunday, February 17, 2008

the Shoreland team's name is the Untouchables

A few weeks before Mother's Day, apparently as some sort of preliminary judicial inspection, I stop by a garage that is a satellite of Shoreland Scav's HQ. Everyone is very busy; they're crossing things off on checklists and cleaning / oiling / packing up a brand-new looking blue-gray 80's hatchback, preparing to set out on a cross-country scavenging road trip. On a shelf I notice a dusty yellow Robie the Robot; it had been there last time I'd visited, but I'd assumed it was someone else's. But then I thought about it: only two teams had gotten the item last year, it was highly unlikely that Shoreland had acquired the Robie belonging to the other team, and the Robie Shoreland had was mine! We'd found my robot!
"Hey, D-----, this is the Robie we had last year, right?" I called to one of the guys going on the trip.
"Yeah," he said, without looking up. I put it in my backpack.

The road trip crew pulled out of the garage. Their trip would function both as a test run for the actual Scav road trip (figuring out division of labor, location of cheap hotels, etc.) and a search for interesting objects that might be of use for non-road-trip items. Sometimes I was on the trip with them; having just been drilling their Performance captain about trademark laws, I would suddenly find myself in the hatchback's back seat, singing with the other passengers as we drove through the Badlands. Sometimes John Flansburgh was on the trip with them. Sometimes both of us were in the hatchback with the Untouchables, and Flansburgh was telling a story that made it seem like another place and time entirely. Sometimes I was sitting back at Shoreland HQ reading papers for my classes or carrying out other aspects of the preliminary HQ inspection (first aid kit? check).

I was conversing excitedly with SL's Construction captain about the slick new tools the team had acquired for this year when the hatchback pulled back in. The Untouchables ran up to greet their teammates, who emerged from the car carrying weird metal objects, LPs with hideous cover art, and exotic beverages. Last of all, a blue-green dicynodont, I think a Lystrosaurus, crawled out of the car. He walked over to me and nuzzled my leg.

"Where in the Hell did you guys find a dicynodont?!" I yelled.
"We don't remember!" said B-----. I wondered if Flansburgh's time-travel stories had anything to do with it.

I reflected on what a shame it was that, as far as I could recall, having a dicynodont was of no use to any of this year's items. I wondered if it would be immoral (i.e., partial) of me to add one to the list. Had Lystrosaurs made a sudden comeback, so that other teams might be able to get one too? I wasn't sure. Also, someone should probably tell the Field Museum.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home